If an Indian tribe, worked through all the bureaucratic process while using Bureau of Indian Affairs and might build an online casino in downtown Enid, are you for or against it? If you live in Enid and occasionally visit other casinos throughout the state, you almost certainly run into other people you know from Enid, partaking inside recreation given by the casinos. These are the same somebody that has left our town and so are spending their recreation dollars elsewhere. They are shopping at the stores, eating on the restaurants, and staying with the hotels inside area.
A brief history:
The ability to run bingo games was among the numerous concessions created to tribes in Oklahoma. Then some very ingenious person developed a bingo game that appeared as if a slot machine. We supply seen the tiny digital bingo card with the top corner of the display screen of the slot machine game. From that invention forward, Oklahoma casinos started to spring up everywhere. After all, you are still playing bingo, just inside a new and technical way. Later, a gaming compact relating to the tribes and the State of Oklahoma allowed using Vegas style video poker machines, poker, and blackjack. Thus, bigger and casinos were built and therefore are still being built throughout Oklahoma.
A casino could only be built within historic tribal boundaries and then placed in a trust using the U.S. government. Since Enid does not have any casino, is the reason? Then upon researching Garfield County, Oklahoma via Wikipedia, it turned out found, that before the Land Run of 1893, Garfield County was named O County and was part from the Cherokee Outlet, occupied from the Cherokee people pursuing the Treaty of New Echota along with the Cherokee trail of tears. Historically, the region was a hunting ground in the Wichita, Osage, and Kiowa tribes. Does that qualify us being within historic tribal boundaries?
Positive elements of a casino in Enid:
1. The revenues generated from casinos are taken to operate tribal governments and programs for its citizens. In addition, a portion of the revenue is split with the State of Oklahoma.
2. Tribes utilize the revenues to improve infrastructure.
3. Related attractions are built.
4. Jobs are made.
5. The added income and influx of tourists increase retail trade.
6. Promotes tribal economic development.
7. The casinos donate to local charities.
8. A survey of casino patrons found that over 80 percent of the visitors to casinos were considering also doing something besides gambling. So the casino becomes an anchor for other tourism attractions such as family water parks.
9. The casinos create new lines of cooperative economic development between American Indians and non-Indian business people.
10. Casinos give you a magnet for outside money that would not previously exist.
11. Local resident who accustomed to travel outside from the area now stays within the area.
12. More construction jobs are made building casinos.
13. Gambling is an accepted way for governments to raise funds. It is described as source of money that is certainly easier to obtain because it's not a tax on individuals.
14. In several communities these businesses showed an surge in profits, attendance, and customers after an internet casino came to their area:
a. Retail stores
c. Local arts and crafts shows
d. Hunting and fishing activities
e. Horse trail rides
f. Festivals and events had higher attendance
g. Movie theaters
h. Historical sites were visited more frequently
i. Scenic drives
j. Walking trails
k. Water parks
l. Biking trails
m. Roller skating
n. Fitness centers
Negative facets of a here casino in Enid
1. Tourism dollars hinge on how well the casino pays out. Winners may spend freely, but losers may return purchases and cut their hotel stays short.
2. For some gambling becomes an addiction.
3. Gambling kills time, and subtracts from time spent on useful endeavors.
4. Locally-owned businesses go bankrupt because consumers have changed their expenditures to casinos.
5. Wealthy Indian gaming tribes pour huge amount of money into political campaigns at both state and federal levels. (Source: Special Investigation by Donald L. Barlett and James B,. Steele, Time Magazine, December 2002.)
6. Wealthy Indian gaming tribes are also influencing gambling and also other policies affecting Native Americans by handing quite a bit to influential lobbying firms. (Source: Special Investigation by Donald L. Barlett and James B, Steele, Time Magazine, December 2002.)
7. In towns with casino's, there is surely an increase within the following:
e. Domestic violence
f. Drug and alcohol addiction
What is Gambling Addiction?
Gambling addiction is called an action addiction. When gambling, the endocrine system, adrenaline and endorphins, are self-produced. As the person gambles more frequently, it leads to tolerance to the adrenaline and endorphins, in order that it takes more gambling and better stakes, to get the equal high. Recent studies show that slot machine game gambling illuminates the human brain the same way that cocaine does. (Source: Stop the Casino 101 Coalition)
If an online casino were to petition arrive at downtown Enid, what would be your opinion? Do you think it could enhance our community or bring social problems we may not want to manage?